Located in Busan - the second largest city in Korea, Catholic University Busan promises to bring a great learning and living environment for international students. So what majors does Catholic University Busan train? What is the tuition fee?
1. Basic Information about Catholic University Busan
- School's name: Catholic University of Pusan (CUP)
- Korean name:
- Year of establishment: 1964
- Type: private
- Address: 57 Oryundae-ro, Geumjeong-gu, Busan, South Korea
Catholic University Busan is a 4-year general private university founded by the Catholic Organization of the Diocese of Busan.
The predecessor of the school was the Merinol School of Nursing (3 years) under the Merinol Sisters Hospital (now Merinol Hospital) established in 1964. The school changed its name to the Merinol College of Nursing in 1971. The school was transformed to its present location and the name was changed to Jisan University in 1998.
The Busan Catholic University was established in 1991 to train priests. And in 1999, the Catholic University of Busan and Jisan University were merged to become the present Catholic University of Busan.
It is the only university to receive an A among four-year universities in Busan and Gyeongsangnam-do in the 2015 University Structural Reform Assessment. Busan, such as Korea Maritime University, Dong-A University, Pukyong National University and Pusan National University, also received only Bs.
2. Training Program at Catholic University Busan
2.1. Korean language program
The Korean language program at Catholic University Busan is for international students who want to improve their Korean language skills for admission to universities/graduate schools in Korea or who want to experience Korean life/culture through through the language learning path.
Students will study 5 days / week (Monday - Friday), about 2 hours a day (6:4 am - 9:00 pm). Each class only ranges from about 1 students, so you can be assured of the quality of the teaching staff at Catholic University Busan.
Korean language program tuition at Catholic University Busan: 880.000 KRW / 8 weeks.
2.2. University program
Currently, Catholic University Busan offers 3 main courses with very favorable tuition fees.
Natural Sciences (tuition: 3.502.000 KRW / term)
- Environmental science
- The science of noise reduction
Industrial Engineering (tuition: 3.817.000 KRW / term)
- Enviromental engineer
- Computer engineering
- Computer software engineering
Faculty of Social Sciences and Humanities (tuition: 2.981.000)
- Social science
2.3. Graduate program
Catholic University Busan currently offers graduate programs for the Department of Natural and Humanities.
- Natural Sector: 3.735.000 KRW / period
- Humanities Division: 2.949.000 KRW / term
- Natural Sector: 3.910.000 KRW / period
- Humanities Division: 3.115.000 KRW / term
3. Conditions to study at Catholic University Busan
3.1 For Korean language program
- Education level: students must have graduated from high school at least
- Does not require TOPIK
3.2. For university level
- Education level: students must have graduated from high school at least
- TOPIK 3 or higher (varies depending on major)
3.3. For graduate level
- Education level: University graduate or corresponding study program
- You can apply for a major that is different from your major at university
4. Scholarship Program at Catholic University Busan
4.1. Korean Language Scholarship
- Excellent Student Scholarship (10% tuition fee reduction): for students with the best achievements.
- Referral Scholarship (50% off registration fee): students are referred from current students.
4.2. Undergraduate Scholarship
New Student Scholarship:
- Class A (60% off tuition): TOPIK 5-6
- Category B (50% tuition fee reduction): TOPIK 3 – 4
- Category C (45% discount on tuition): TOPIK 2
- Class D (60% off tuition): TOPIK 5 -6
Scholarship from 2nd year
- Grade A (100% tuition fee waiver): GPA from 4.0
- Class B (60% off tuition): GPA from 3.0
- Category C (400% tuition waiver): GPA from 2.5
- Class D (20% tuition fee waiver): GPA from 1.75
Language Support Scholarship
- 5% discount on tuition every time you increase a TOPIK . level
4.3. Graduate Scholarship
- Scholarship to support excellent students (30% tuition fee reduction): students with GPA from 4.0 and good morals.
- Research – Education Scholarship (50% tuition fee reduction): students support the professor's research.
- Teaching assistant scholarships (100% discount on admission fees): PhD students support teaching activities.
5. Dormitory system at Catholic University Busan
Catholic University Busan has separate dormitories for men and women with full facilities such as tables and chairs, wardrobes, toilets, etc. Besides, there are many other common facilities such as reading room, room. gym, computer room, laundry room, …
Room for 2 people:
- Former headquarters: 570.000 KRW / term
- New headquarters: 640.000 KRW/term
Room for 3 people: 640.000 KRW / period
Room for 4 people: 600.000 KRW / period
6. Destinations should not be missed when studying at Catholic University Busan
6.1. Haeundae Beach
Haeundae tops the list of the most exotic and beautiful beaches in Busan. Located on the edge of the city, this beach is the perfect place to relax and soak up the sun or you can try water thrills like snorkeling, skiing and surfing .
You can go to this beautiful beach on the weekend and enjoy some quiet time with friends and family. There are many restaurants near this beach serving fresh authentic seafood, you can satisfy your taste buds by trying delicious seafood dishes while watching the mesmerizing sunset view.
6.2. Gamcheon Culture Village
Gamcheon Cultural Village is the quintessence of beauty and chaos, all in one. The former slum is known for its steep streets, winding alleys, and brightly painted houses. This is a major tourist attraction of Busan. Picturesque Lego-like houses with vibrant colors will leave you in awe.
This area is perfect for Instagram photos and unique photo sessions. This place is also known as "Busan Open Art Museum". This area is flocked by both tourists and Koreans to see the colorful alleys and get lost in the streets to explore the village as fully as possible.
6.3. Sea Life Busan Aquarium
Located at Haeundae beach, Sea Life Busan is a huge aquarium displaying around 250 species and up to 35.000 marine animals viewed through acrylic windows or from an underwater tunnel. This is truly a paradise for those who love the sea as well as marine life.
It's best to visit with family and if you travel with kids this place is perfect for you to visit. There are about 40 exhibits in this Aquarium including Penguins, Piranhas, Otters and Sea Jelly. Add this to your list of places to visit in Busan and thoroughly explore the marine life.
6.4. Haedong Yonggungsa
Nestled on a beautiful coastline northeast of Busan, Haedong Yonggungsa is the only Buddhist temple overlooking the sea as most Buddhist temples are located in the mountains. This is one of the most famous Buddhist temples in Korea, famous for its quiet and peaceful atmosphere.
This is the best place to enjoy a relaxing time with yourself. The temple was built during the Goryeo Dynasty and is Busan's oldest temple. You can go to this holy place with your family and pray for abundant health and prosperity for your loved ones.
6.5. Taejong Dae
Taejong Dae is a natural park of Busan and it is also a popular tourist destination in Busan with its amusement park, observatory, lighthouse and cruise pier. This is one of the top places to visit in Busan in the summer.
For thrilling adventures, you can hike to this cliff and marvel at the amazing scenery all around you!
6.6. Jagalchi . Fish Market
If you intend to study abroad in Busan, this popular market should be on your priority list to visit. Busan is located by the sea, so it's no wonder that the city has an abundance of fresh seafood. Jagalchi Fish Market is a mecca that offers fresh seafood and a variety of sea creatures, most importantly, they are all very fresh and cheap.
Not only live seafood, but also food stalls in the market selling delicious fish soup, live octopus, fried fish and what not! Visit this fascinating market and enjoy fresh seafood shipped directly from the sea.
6.7. Nampodong Market
Craving some Korean delicacies? Don't worry, Nampodong Market is the perfect destination for you. Nampodong Market is Korea's 3rd largest market, home to a myriad of mouthwatering Korean dishes, trendy clothing stores, and some unique souvenir and thrift stores.
Get off at Nampo station and the market is just a few minutes walk away. Shop around and enjoy some great street food from the stalls. You are sure to have a great time exploring this vibrant market.
6.8. Gwangalli Beach
Gwangalli Beach is located on the west side of Haeundae Beach. This is one of the most famous beaches in Busan, curved in the shape of a half moon with fine sand. If you want to escape from the crowded Haeundae beach, this is the best beach for you to spend some quiet time relaxing and basking in the sun.
There are many cafes and restaurants lining the adjacent alleys where you can satisfy your hunger with delicious Korean Barbecue. Enjoy a day here relaxing and chilling with your friends!
Studying abroad in Korea is an opportunity for you to develop close friends, allow yourself to understand more about a long-standing culture, and access the top education in the region. Hopefully, through the above article, readers will have more useful information about Catholic University Busan so that they have more basis to consider and make a choice that suits their aspirations and abilities.